Friday 1 June 2018

Brooklyn by Colm ToIbin Book Review



Hi Readers, 👋
Just so that you know this is my first Colm Toibin book, I have been interested in picking up one of his books and reading it. So I found this one and it sounded interesting and based on a time period I am interested in, but rarely read anything from that time period which is 1950.

This book takes place in Ireland, which is one of the reasons why I picked it up. The main character is a young girl called Ellis Lacey, like a lot of young girl in Ireland there were not many opportunities and work was hard to come by. So Ellis decides to move to Brooklyn where there are more work and opportunities. Ellis knows that she must go and leave her family and life behind for the first time.

When she arrives she gets very homesick, thinking of everything that she has sacrificed, living in a crowded lodging house, but just as she is starting to form friendships and possibly more. She suddenly gets news that she must go home, taking her back to Ireland which confronts her with a terrible dilemma, a choice between duty and a great love.


I did really enjoy this book and found it very interesting and made me keep wanting to come back to it, to find out what happens next. There were some nice character development in this story and focuses on the main character's point of view of the situations and what is going on in her mind. I really highly enjoyed this book it was a very good read. This being my first Colm Toibin book I will not be my last (I have actually already got another one). I have already passed this book on for someone else to borrow and read. I guess that means I would recommend this book to others.

I rated this book 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Best Wishes 
and 
Keep Reading
Stacey the bookworm 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment